Disappearing restore request

Disappearing restore request. When your restored stuff just disappear in front of you.

We are running a hybrid with Exchange 2016. The users have an on-prem mailbox and an archive in Exchange Online.

A employee left the company, got married and then came back. Service Desk decided to give her a new mailbox and archive.
After some weeks she asked if she could get all her old mail back. No problem. Since everything was moved to her archive, I would simply do a restore request in the cloud and everything should be fine?

I started the restore request, everything seemed fine, but after a while the restored stuff just disappeared.

Lets find out what happend. I decided to reproduce the error and restore a softdeleted archive into my own.

I have my own archive guid and the softdeleted and run the following command to start the restore request

New-EXOMailboxRestoreRequest -Name RestoredArchive -SourceMailbox 1ea7d430-a834-4bf8-8e68-8ce4a64e2712 
-TargetIsArchive -TargetMailbox f7f0994b-f7d1-4184-b23f-43aa8a849ddf -TargetRootFolder "RestoredArchive" 
-AllowLegacyDNMismatch -Verbose

Now lets see the folders being restored. They are all showing up now. And be aware of the ContainerClass. This is what it should look like. A folder is an IPF.Note

ContainerClass is as expected for a folder, IPF.Note
ContainerClass is as expected for a folder, IPF.Note

The folder is visible in Outlook

The folder is visible in Outlook

After a while I check again, and we have one of the famous stalls. After a few moments it continues.

Restore request stalls, but continues
Restore request stalls, but continues

Lets check the folders again. WHAT? What happend? Did my folder just change to an appointment?

The ContainerClass just changed from IPF.Note to IPF.Appointment
The ContainerClass just changed from IPF.Note to IPF.Appointment

How does it look in Outlook. Oh, it disappeared.

The folder disappeared
The folder disappeared

What if I take a look at the calendars. Here it is, but pretty useless here.

Now visible in the calendar
Now visible in the calendar

What do we do now? There is only one thing to do, fire up MFCMAPI.

Mark the folder, and find PR_CONTAINER_CLASS

Lets change it back to IPF.Note

Lets restart Outlook and have a look. It’s back 🙂

Thanks for reading.

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Exchange Tips
Adding IP to multiple relay connectors

Adding IP to multiple relay connectors: A customer has 5 Exchange 2013 servers. Each have an interal relay connector and an external relay connector. Everytime e.g. a new scanner or a server needs to relay email, the IP has to be added to eigther the internal og external relay connectors. …

Exchange Tips
2
Hybrid Configuration Wizard mailflow problem

Recently the Exchange hybrid team released the new “stand alone” hybrid wizard called “Microsoft Office 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard” or HCW. Read the post on the Exchange Team Blog about the new Hybrid Configuration Wizard here http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2015/09/04/introducing-the-microsoft-office-365-hybrid-configuration-wizard.aspx Today I decided to try it out in my lab to prepare myself for …

Exchange Tips
How to phase out Exchange archive mailboxes

A customer wants to phase out their Exchange archive mailboxes. There are no reason for them to keep them. Back then they were told about cheap storage and large ost files, but all their data is placed on the same SAN and they are soon using Outlook 2013. They have …